Saturday, October 25, 2014

Community Helpers, Part II

Community Helpers, Part II!

On Tuesday, I visited a preschool to do my second community helpers storytime for them.  We talked about specific types of community helpers, including veterinarians, carpenters, teachers, and more!

Opening: Open, Shut Them

Book: Bark, George! By Jules Feiffer


Song: The Wheels on the Bus

Transition Song: Touch your ears and touch your nose

Book: Old MacDonald Had a Woodshop by Lisa Shulman


Activity: Police officer, police officer, what do you see?
Based on the book "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see? by Bill Martin
From: Themed Storytime Ideas

Police officer, police officer, what to you see?
I see a farmer looking at me.

Farmer farmer, what do you see
I see a construction worker looking at me

(continue with other community helpers)

I printed out pictures of different community helpers and glued them on card stock.  Then I held each picture up as we named each community helpers.
Police Officer!
Farmer!

Song: Icky Sticky Bubblegum

Flannel Board: Down around the corner; From Storytime Katie

Down around the corner in the bakery shop
Were five yummy cookies with sprinkles on top
Along came ______(insert name) with a dollar to pay
He/she buys a cookie and takes it away!

(continue with 4, 3, 2, 1)



After we'd taken away all the cookies, I brought out cookie monster and we fed him the cookies!

Yummy!
Book: Dinosaur Vs. School by Bob Shea


Song: Tutti Ta, from Johnny Only's CD "Kid's Music You Can Dance To!"

No comments:

Post a Comment