Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Stripes and Spots

Theme for Wednesday, September 10: Stripes and Spots

We started out the storytime by talking about which animals have stripes and which have spots using pictures of different kinds of animals.

Opening: Open Shut Them

Book: It's a Tiger! By David LaRochelle


Movement Rhyme: Spotted Giraffe; From Fingerplays and Action Rhymes

The spotted giraffe is tall as can be (raise one arm as high as you can)
His lunch is a bunch of leaves off a tree (nibble with fingers of hands of outstretched arm)
He has a very long neck and his legs are long too (point to raised arm and legs)
And he can run faster than his friends at the zoo!

Transition Rhyme: Touch Your Ears and Touch Your Nose

Touch your ears and touch your nose
Now bend down and touch your toes
Wiggle your fingers and turn around
Now bend down and touch the ground
Clap your hands, count 1, 2, 3
Now sit down so quietly.

Book: Tiny Little Fly by Michael Rosen

We had lots of fun with this book...and it was especially fun to make the fly buzz off each animal!

Song with puppets: I went to visit the zoo one day; From Storytime Sparks

I went to visit the zoo one day
I saw tiger along the way
And what do you think the tiger did say?
Growl, growl, growl!

I used our puppets with this song:


I continued the song using our cow, dog, pig, and zebra (we pretended to run really fast with the zebra).  We also talked about which animals have spots, stripes, or neither.

Action Song: Baby Bumblebee; From DLTK

I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee 
Won't my mommy be so proud of me
(Cup hands together as if holding bee)

I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee
Ouch!  It stung me!
(Shake hands as if just stung)

I'm squishing up the baby bumblebee
Won't my mommy be so proud of me
(Squish bee between palms of hands)

I'm squishing up the baby bumblebee
Ooh! It's yucky!
(Open up hands to look at mess)

I'm wiping off the baby bumblebee
Won't my mommy be so proud of me
(Wipe hands off on shirt)

I'm wiping off the baby bumblebee
All clean!
(Hold hands up to show they are clean)

Book: Lots of Dots by Craig Frazier


This book was also a really big hit with the kids!

Movement Song: Silly Dance Contest from Jim Gill's CD Jim Gill Sings the Sneezing Song and Other Contagious Tunes

Craft: Snakes!

We made striped and polka-dotted snakes today!  The kids colored their snakes and glued on googly eyes.  I don't usually use scissors in storytime, but we did today...the kids cut out their snakes along the black line!

No comments:

Post a Comment