Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Beach Time!

We visited the beach today for storytime!

Theme for Wednesday, August 14: The Beach!

Opening: Open, Shut Them

Book: Rattletrap Car by Phyllis Root

Movement Activity: Stand up and Stretch

We stretched as high as we could and as low as we could.  
We wiggled our fingers and our toes.
We shrugged our shoulders up and down.  
We made a fist and rolled our hands in a circle.  We started slowly and then sped up!

Transition Rhyme: Touch your ears and touch your nose

Touch your ears and touch your nose
Now bend down and touch your toes
Wiggle your fingers and turn around
Now bend down and touch the ground
Clap your hands, count 1, 2, 3
Now sit down so quietly.

Book: How Will We Get to the Beach? by Brigitte Luciani


Flannel Board Activity: Beach Bear

We talked about what we wear when we go to the beach.  I had the kids help me get the bear dressed in the right clothes!

Flannel Board Activity: Popsicles! From: Storytime Katie


Since I didn't have the song that went with this flannel board, we simply talked about the popsicles instead.  We had a smaller group tonight, so I was able to have each kid choose a popsicle from the bag.  We pretended to eat the popsicle and then talked about what color our tongue would turn (i.e. you eat the purple popsicle, your tongue would turn purple!).  Then the child picked out the blue tongue from the pile and stuck it on the boy's face.

 
We also talked about what flavor we thought each popsicle would be.  We decided that the purple one was probably grape-flavored!

Book: Sally Goes to the Beach by Stephen Huneck

Song: Shake Your Sillies Out from The Wiggles' CD Yummy Yummy

Craft: Leis 
This craft took a little bit of figuring out on my part.  I cut out the flowers for the kids to decorate.  Then I had them punch a tiny hole in each of them. (I had to use the tiny hole puncher because otherwise it made too big of a hole).

Then I took a straw and cut it into thirds.  I realized that you needed a small piece of straw to go in between each flower, otherwise the flowers would lump together.

I used twine to make the necklace part of it and wrapped some tape around the end to make it easier for the kids to string the flowers and the straws.  Once the kids were done making the leis, I tied the ends of the twine in a knot and made a necklace for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment