Sunday, July 13, 2014

Bears!

Since our Summer Reading Program theme at my library is "Paws to Read," I've been doing a series of animal-related storytimes for the kids on Wednesdays.

Theme for Wednesday, July 9: Bears!

Opening: "Open, Shut Them"

Book: Big Smelly Bear by Britta Teckentrup

Action Rhyme: "If I were..." From Miss Meg's Storytime

If I were a happy bear, I'd go ha ha ha! (laugh)
If I were a sad bear, I'd go boo hoo, hoo! (rub eyes)
If I were a cranky bear, I'd go stomp, stomp, stomp! (stomp feet)
If I were a scared bear, I'd go Ahh! Ahhhhh! (scream)
If I were a tired bear, I'd go Zzzzz! Zzzzz! (pretend to sleep)

Transitional Rhyme: Touch your ears and touch your nose (I learned this rhyme while working at a preschool, and I'm not sure of it's original source.)

Touch your ears and touch your nose
Now bend down and touch your toes
Wiggle your fingers and turn around
Now bend down and touch the ground
Clap your hands, count 1, 2, 3
Now sit down so quietly

Book: We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen

Flannel Board Story: A Perfect Nose for Ralph by Jane Breskin Zalben From Story Time Secrets



I'd never heard of this story before finding it on Story Time Secrets, but it was a great flannel board story to share with the kids.  They loved trying to find the perfect nose for Ralph!


Flannel Board Activity: Honey Pot, Honey Pot, Where are you? From What is Bridget Reading?

Super easy and the kids loved it.  We named the colors of the bear, and then I had them guess which bear is hiding the honey pot!

Book: The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big, Hungry Bear by Don and Audrey Wood

Song: Jumping and Counting from Jim Gill's Irrational Anthems and More Salutes to Nonsense

Closing Song: Skinnamarink

Craft: Bear with honey!
I cut out a bear template and had the kids color the bear and/or glue on brown paper.  We added googly eyes and a honey pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment